Friday 7 April 2017

Selling your art online

Opening an online shop is a great way to make an income from your art or craft. I have been running my own shop on Etsy for a few years now, and it has helped me to develop my style, learn new skills and earn an extra income on top of my freelance work. Etsy has been a great platform to showcase my illustrations and it has opened up lots of opportunities for me, such as art commissions and having my designs stocked in galleries and gift shops around the world. I feel that at the moment I can't manage more than one online shop, but there's no reason why you couldn't have shops across a range of different platforms. 


If you're thinking about starting to sell your work on the internet, I have picked out some digital marketplaces for you to consider here:

Etsy
A marketplace for handmade and vintage products. I would highly recommend Etsy as I have found it really easy to use over the years and my customers on there are always super friendly and supportive. The brand has a lovely community feel and they offer different tools to help creative entrepreneurs manage and grow their businesses.

Look Lane
I only just recently discovered Look Lane, it's a new platform to buy and sell handmade items by indie designer makers. I love the interactive map and how you can browse through virtual high streets and stumble upon lots of pretty things that you wouldn't normally find. I am definitely tempted to open a shop here!

Folksy
Is an online destination to buy and sell work created by indie designers based in the UK. They also have loads of useful advice on their website to help creative sellers, like photography tips, blogging tips, SEO and social media. You can also join in with #folksyhour on Twitter for even more tips and to chat to other like minded creatives.

Not on the High Street
Home to more than 5000 creative businesses, from jewellery makers and engravers to visual artists and chocolatiers. They only pick the best creatives who have truly unique and thoughtful products so if you want to sell your work on this platform you will need to apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment