Beginning a career in illustration can be a little daunting and you may feel out of your depth. The competition is tough and it’s difficult to identify how or where to promote your work. Having your work featured on a few creative blogs is a great place to get started. So here is a list of my top ten blogs to submit your illustrations to.
1. Creative Boom - A fantastic blog dedicated to the creative industries, launched in 2009 by its founder Katy Cowan. With the aim to share industry news while championing the work of creative graduates, startups, freelancers, artists and agencies, and providing help through exposure, inspiration and learning.
2. The Art Cake – Serves up super sweet art and illustrations discovered by Christi Vincent.
3. Illustration Rally – Their mission is to give a fun and creative space for artists to express themselves, and help each other to gain exposure and a greater sense of community. Submit your work to different themes or ask for an Artist feature.
4. Brown Paper Bag – Brown Paper Bag is an arts, illustration and design blog that wants you to be your best creative self. It strives to be a blog that’s more than just pretty pictures. Interested in context, history, and in helping you develop tools that help to give you a more sophisticated way of looking at and talking about our visual culture.
5. Deer Brains – Inspirational blog founded in January 2010 by Stephanie Barnes. Her main aim was to bring everything she loves to the attention of the wide world web with the help of a wonderful, inspiring team. This includes, art, photography, design, typography, fashion, news, hype and social media.
6. Business Boom Collective – ‘The Young Creatives Network’ is the ideal place to see features of up-and-coming students, graduates and freelance creatives from the UK and beyond.
7. Ten Paces & Draw - Ten Paces is a collaborative project bringing together a community of illustrators and designers. Each week Ten Paces offers a unique challenge allowing sketches to be made and swapped between artists. The results of these swaps are always exciting and a great learning experience for all who participate.
8. Pikaland – A useful blog about living the illustrated life — an art and illustration blog that’s a collection of beautiful things and inspirations.
9. The Young Creatives - Discover and be discovered! The creative catalogue for writers, artists, designers and more aged 25 and under from across the globe. If you would like to see your work featured, send them an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Ape on The Moon - Managed by two inter-planetary apes, founded by illustrator Alex Mathers, with illustrator Philip Dennis based in London. Documents all that is new and exciting about illustration, animation and the people that create it.